Castanea Station History

Initially constructed by the Beech Creek, Clearfield, and Southwestern Railroad in the early 1800s for freight service for the Lock Haven area.

Passenger service was added in 1884

Castanea station built in 1884 ( in 2013 = 129 years old)

By 1895, 6000 railroad cars passed this station each week.

Station was very important to local economy.

Station was serving 600 passengers a day.

Main purpose of railroad was to transport coal from the region to the industrial areas of the eastern US.  Other commodities carried by the BCC&S Railroad included clay, lumber, fire brick, farm products, and merchandise.

Primary financiers were the Vanderbilts of New York.

In 1899, the BCC&S It was later sold to the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company in 1899 which later became the New York Central System.

The village of Castanea, PA was founded in 1871 by Jack Brown and Peter Keller who bought and sold lots.

The station contained a freight station, ticket booth, and telegraph office.  It was providing passenger service for Lock Haven via horse-drawn buggies.  Four passenger trains passed through the station daily.  Supplies were shipped into this area to support a brewery, a limestone quarry, a paper company, and brick & tile company.

In 1956 Trylon Chemical Company purchased the station and converted it to offices for the company.

In 1972 the Agnes Flood washed out the tracks east of the station which ended the Railroad's run through Castanea.

Castenea Station pre-2009
note:  a kiosk shaped to resemble a water tower stands in front of the station as of 2009.  The kiosk, constructed by Keystone Central Vo-tech students for the Clinton County Historical Society, which will serve as an tourist information area for the future rails-to-trails and offer a general history of transportation in the Clinton County area.